Monday, February 25, 2013

LL, Old NFO, DrJim, Thanks for the Great Lunch!

PF Changs, from about where I was seated
I had the most delicious lunch Saturday with a couple of old salts and a ham-radio buff. They apologized for talking about the Navy for most of the time, but I didn't mind at all. I really enjoyed learning more about the Navy. Did I mention my dad was in the Navy before he met my mom? It was due to his service that he received the G.I. Bill and went to college. It was that that enabled him to become an electrical engineer. It was his career as an electrical engineer that enabled him to care for his family for the course of his lifetime. I have been on an odyssey this past year going through his things and learning more about him. Saturday's lunch was another opportunity to learn more about his world.
My Dad, looking a lot like my college boy does now.
And I enjoyed learning about the world of the nice men who served this country and continue to serve as bloggers and as people who care enough to speak up about politics.

I imagine that most of the guests don't want too many conversational details blabbed after such a frank and warm discussion. However, I think some innocuous tidbits might entertain readers.

Dr. Jim writes the blog Every Blade of Grass. One thing you might not know about him is that he gets nutso environmentalists coming by the blog now and then crying about how we have to "SAVE EVERY BLADE OF GRASS!" He shakes his head and informs them of the quote by Admiral Yamamoto in WWII explaining why Japan did not invade the United States....because there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.  Got that enviro freaks? Guns. Behind every blade of grass. Not changing any time soon.

And there was Old NFO, who was not as old as his blogger name implies. Still has a spring in his step and lots of exciting activity in his life. Coincidentally, both he and LL were stationed on the same base in the Middle East during the first gulf war. They both remember the buildings that the other guy worked in. They just didn't meet.

I didn't meet any of them back then either. I remember what I was doing, though. I was breastfeeding my now college-age boy, and I remember being grateful because he was only 4 months old at the time, not old enough to roll over yet and he was not much trouble to watch while traveling. I watched the news on TV from a condo in Vero Beach, Florida. The Gulf War was over so quickly! Thanks to our awesome servicemen and support staff!
Balmy breezes grace the beach front in Vero Beach, Florida.

14 comments:

LL said...

Opus #6 was magnificent, as is her norm.

Old NFO went to boot camp with guys that I thought were "older than dirt" however, since Old NFO has been sipping from the fountain of youth - or he went through boot camp at age 3 - he has not aged.

Dr. Jim provided us with very solid insight. And the food was great, as PF Chang always seems to deliver.

Fredd said...

By the time the first Gulf War was raging, and these old veterans were stationed in the area, I had been out of the service for around a decade or so, making me feel kind of ancient, here, Opus.

Still, I too got through college thanks to the assistance of GI Bill bennies, could not have done it otherwise.

And back in the day, the Japs were not idiots: there are STILL guns behind every blade of American grass.

Just the way I like it.

Old NFO said...

Thanks for the nice comments, and I still feel bad that you didn't get too many words in... And if nothing else, it DOES point out just how small the Navy and the world have become with the advent of all the technology advances. And I hope your young man never has to go through what we did.

Opus #6 said...

Old NFO, I was thinking about that, the quote "if there is war let it be in my time, so that my children may study mathematics and philosophy."

I'm not sure that does well by the younger generation. Each generation needs warriors. Peace through strength is the only thing that works on this dangerous planet. Dems are too dumb to see it. They will realize their folly too late to save themselves or anybody else.

The rest of us grownups need to educate the younger generation on patriotism, honor and security.

Opus #6 said...

LL, no. It is YOU who are magnificent.

Opus #6 said...

But Fredd, you don't look a day over 25 in your picture....

Doom said...

You served quite bravely, yourself, ma'am. You are far braver than any man I know!

I'm pleased to know some of you all have enjoyed some company. You deserve it. Urhm, of course, in the good way. *jealous* (just a bit, but not begrudgingly) :)

Opus #6 said...

Awww, Doom, thanks! You sure know how to turn a girl's head. :-D

drjim said...

I came *this* close to wearing my "Peace Through Superior Firepower" Tee shirt.

Maybe next time....

And we all had a great time!

Opus #6 said...

That shirt would not have bothered anybody.

Next time we should go to the range or something.

Fredd said...

Opus: the guy in Fredd's picture and I share the same last name. But that photo is of my grandfather when he was 19 years old, taken in 1900. Gramps was quite the looker back in the day, check out that snazzy turtleneck....

Opus #6 said...

I don't mean to interfere with your business, Fredd, but it is traditional to update one's profile photo more than once every hundred years....

On the other hand, I am quite taken by your gramps.

Old NFO said...

Good point Opus, and I do agree with you.

Kid said...

Opus, yea, given many of today's troubles stem from the disintegration of the family unit, you are doing some fine things with 6 Americans.

Anyway, sounds like a great afternoon. :)