Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rule out poisoning


That was what I wrote on the sign-in sheet at the emergency room this morning. My 4-y-o boy ate something unidentified this morning. It had a yellow-orange staining quality, like cumin or saffron or something, which was all down the front of his shirt and on a kitchen towel, but we could not detect any missing or moved spices. It looked like yellow stuff mixed with brown coffee grounds or cinnamon. I could not detect a smell and tried to taste it with my tongue, but did not detect salt, sweet or spices. So then I changed his shirt and started driving him to school when he said, "I ate M&Ms from Daddy's bathroom". 8-0!#%*! I called my husband and we both turned around and went back home to go through every conceivable medicine in the house. I counted all the Bayer 81mg aspirins I just bought. There were no missing Tylenol (the most dangerous medicine in the house). So we decided a trip to the ER was in order, to rule out poisoning. His lab tests were mostly normal, and the abnormal parts, the doctor explained, were typical for a boy his age. So he got a doctor's note to go back to school and was there by lunchtime. I sure hope he is alright.
And then, because I obviously had not been through enough already today, I dropped my cell phone and the screen cracked.

8 comments:

d e v a n said...

urgh! What a bad day! I hope he's alright!

blueviolet said...

Oh no, not one of those days! I'm so sorry!

Cassandra-ann said...

Oh-no MA, thats just too scary isnt it, i really hope the little guy is okay, Hopefully whatever he ate he spat out! I hope your day got better (((())))

Michelle said...

How scary! My youngest that is two can take the lids off medicine also and has given me a few scares. I am glad your son is ok.

LL said...

Sorry for the bad day -- I hope it ended better than it started.

Maisy said...

WOW! That is scary! Glad he is doing okay now.

JulieChats said...

Glad he's doing ok! I had a similar scare when my daughter was 3 and decided she liked the popping sound of my advair disk. She was on the bathroom floor covered with dust, popping the disk. After the interrogation, we figured that she hadn't actually put it up to her mouth. But still....scary!

Kelly @ Wisdom Begun said...

I am very glad he is okay. That would have scared the living daylights out of me. How is your day today?